McLanahan’s got its start in 1903 as a Tyrone, PA pharmacy founded by William H. McLanahan, who successfully ran it until his death. His son Bob saw a bright future for State College, PA, so in 1933 he opened a drug store at the northeast corner of Beaver Avenue and South Allen Street. As part of the new store, Bob began to sell Penn State memorabilia and apparel in THE PENN STATE ROOM.
In 1948, with business booming, Bob McLanahan moved his store to the former site of the A&P grocery store at 134-136 South Allen Street. The new store employed forty-five people, including part-time dishwasher Hubie Shirk, who spent his working life at McLanahan’s. Hubie was later named manager of a new self-service McLanahan’s opened on East College Avenue in 1959.
In 1961, Ray Agostinelli joined McLanahan’s as controller after graduation from Penn State. By 1969, at Bob’s retirement, Ray and Hubie purchased the then two Penn State stores. The store is now owned and operated by Ray’s sons, who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Over the years, McLanahan’s has built its reputation on customer satisfaction. In 1983, after Penn State’s first Football National Championship, THE PENN STATE ROOM published its first mail-order catalog. The catalog was and is still today a huge success.
In 1997 the mail-order catalog and other items were placed on the World Wide Web. Merchandise orders can be placed 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week online at www.pennstateroom.com, over the phone at 1-888-367-8081, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
View Larger Map